Coringa 1913 HMS - Tug

User avatar
Woody
Posts: 4934
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:11 pm

Coringa 1913 HMS - Tug

Post by Woody » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:30 am

HMS Coringa
Rescue Tug - W12
WWII Rescue Tug
Launched by William Denny & Brothers Dumbarton, Yard No 1002, on 17/12/1913 as a Salvage Tug for the British India and Queensland Agency Co Ltd, London & Brisbane. Lost in the Bristol Channel 23/6/1940.
287grt (1921 294grt)
135.4ft x 25.1ft x 13ft
Engines by McKie & Baxter, Glasgow
Triple expansion engine with 2 Scotch boilers - 147nhp 1480ihp giving 13.5 knots
1 x 12pdr, and 1 x 6pdr
Crew 49

Completed in March 1914
1916 to Benjamin Macdonald and David Hamilton, Brisbane
25/5/1917 requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as a Rescue Tug and converted at Devonport. Served at Devonport, Pembroke, Milford Haven, and Scapa Flow
17/4/1920 Returned after a refit
1924 to David Sim and William Mackay, Melbourne
1927 to William & Co Ltd, Sydney
1/5/1940 requisitioned by the Admiralty for use as a rescue tug after having sailed to the UK via the Suez Canal
23/6/1940 lost in the Bristol Channel, probably from an air attack

Mercantile Model in the Queensland Maritime Museum, Brisbane
Photos from John Wilson
Attachments
C1 CORINGA SN.jpg
C2 CORINGA.jpg
C3 Coringa 1-1940 Brisbane River.JPG
Coringa Brisbane River January 1940

Return to “RN Warships and Auxiliaries built on the Clyde”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests