Tugs at Harton Staiths

User avatar
Dennis Maccoy
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 pm
Location: South Shields

Tugs at Harton Staiths

Post by Dennis Maccoy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Harton Low Staiths, serving Harton, St Hilda, Boldon, Whitburn and, eventually, Westoe collieries were built on the site of the Cookson's Plate Glass Company quay, opening in 1904. In addition to serving colliers they were frequently used as a lay-by berth for many of the Tyne's tugs.
Tynesider & Marsden, April 1964_2_1.jpg
Tynesider & Marsden, April 1964. Note the charred timbers - evidence of the fire that virtually destroyed the staiths in January 1914.
Westsider & Alnwick, Harton Staiths, 8 August 1971_2_1.jpg
Westsider & Alnwick, 8 August 1971, with Quaysider and George V at the ferry landing in the background.
Seasider, Wearsider, Harton Staithes, 10 May 1994_1_1.jpg
Seasider & Wearsider, 10 May 1994.


Return to “Tyne and Wear Tugs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest