Shelagh update

For pleasure craft, small yachts and marinas etc on the Clyde
riverclyde_tug

Shelagh update

Post by riverclyde_tug » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Been working really hard on her the past few weeks - starting to finish all the things I have started!! :D

Couple of pics for Motorsailer from yesterday and today.
I have some pictures of the planks being done somewhere I will dig them out. She also got all new timbers too.

There is another twin screw Silverette on Loch Lomond called 'Griffin', although she is the mk 1 30'. She hit a submerged object and sank about 3 years ago, last I saw her she was ashore in one of the yards. There was also a 30' one in the boatyard in Kilcreggan however she was falling apart and required more work than mine if its possible :( She was basically just a rotten hull with no deck or topsides, I would be surprised if she hasn't been burnt by now. The only other one I know of locally was the Javelin (30' single screw). She was painted black and used to lie in the East India harbour, Greenock, a few years ago. She was taken ashore and stored in a yard and was advertised on Ebay several times recently and never sold, and sadly she was cut up just a few months ago. A real shame as she was in good order, bit of rot round the stern but not beyond saving.

Do you still have June in Tarbert or did you move her when you bought her?

Jamie
Attachments
2sil.jpg
1sil.jpg

Motorsailer

Re: Shelagh update

Post by Motorsailer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:30 pm

I like the look of the varnished wood on Shelagh against the white of the hull . She looks very good indeed. Lots of work yet I expect but pretty good progress.

It is indeed a pity that Javalin ended up being destroyed in such a manner , how different an outcome from that of he 30ft Silverette 'Ginny' (new name) which has been restored and as of last year gives cruises on Windermere.

'June' remains in Scotland, in the Oban /Loch Linnhe area. Her previous owner maintained her in nice condition and the task is now is just “simply !!” to ensure she remains that way. She will remain afloat all year round, with a lift out each spring for anti fouling, paintwork etc.

It would be interesting to hear what your plan is regarding the mechanical and electrical side of Shelagh.

MS

SCameron

Post by SCameron » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Looking good Jamie - do you know what happened to Lynx?
SC

Chris Jones

Post by Chris Jones » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:36 pm

Cracking boat you've got there Jamie, were moving onto re-fitting our Fisher 25 having had various weather delays! Outside is pretty much up together excluding the new wheelhouse door and remaining treadmaster.

Recently found out my berthing at Penarth includes 30 days at another Quay Marina so perhaps I can talk SHMBO into letting me put her in Rhu for a few weeks sometime! It'll be a long drag up the Irish Sea or an expenssive trip up the M6!!!

Follow my blog on www.channelimages.com

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:50 am

For Motorsailer:

The engine was when I got her and old Ford 4D series with Parsons manual box. We got it running when I moved the boat at first but it has since been removed. Now in place is a ford 2.2 Transit DI full marine unit driving through 2:1 Borg warner gearbox. Also has a wing, however it is hyraulic drive. The shaft, pump and motor are all in place I just have to find the right engine. Didn't have one in when I got her although I seem to remember being told it was a rigorinni.

As for electrical side, not given it much thought yet. She will be 12v system, I have a 2000W inverter for use when sailing and shore power with a few 240v outlets for when alongside. I'll let you know if I ever get back to work on her - been working solidly on the deck on the St Just!!

For Stuart:

Poor old Lynx, Liam would hate to see her as she is now. She has really gone downhill its a real shame. I think she would more or less be given to someone local as long as they were serious about carrying out all the work that needs done, which is a lot. I considered it, but it would be for all the wrong reasons. Hope you are well.

For Chris:

Get yourself up the Irish sea its a capable boat, good in weather as well!! :)

Jamie

Return to “Pleasure Craft”